Thursday, January 14, 2016

The Things I Know


In sixth grade, I was asked to make a chart of things I know about, things I know a little about, and things I want to know about. Below is a photo of the original document.


If you are finding this a little difficult to read, I have made another chart that is easier to read. I'm not sure why I crossed everything out and wrote "labroodles" at the bottom.


 When I first found this list among stacks of my middle school papers, I laughed and laughed and laughed. Sixth grade me was an expert in the field of potatoes, but really I wanted to know about sand. And train stations? I'm pretty certain that must have been a lie, because I had never even been to a train station until 2015. I believe the point of these lists is to explore writing ideas. If you are writing a story or informational piece, it would be better to choose from things you know. But if you were writing a research paper, you would want to choose something you knew little or nothing about so you learn while researching.

Things I know a lot about: caves, chemistry, turgor pressure, Luke Miles, and potatoes
Things I know a little about: snow skiing, driving, blogging, statues, and train stations
Things I want to know about: bottom of the ocean, teaching, string theory, south africa, and how cell phones work.

This is a very small list I made up off of my head, just like I did six years ago. I still love potatoes, I have a little experience with train stations, and I still can't wrap my head around cell phones.

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome! I'm slightly regretting yanking cinderella for my post this day. Nobody knows how cell phones work though :P

    ReplyDelete