Wednesday, December 16, 2015

A Long Lost Childhood Bestfriend

My childhood best friend was named Lucas Silfies. He lived right next door to me, and up until 2006, we were a practically inseparable dynamic duo.
Luci and Lucas in 2006
Almost everyday after school I would trek over to his house, knock on the front door, and politely ask his mom Janine if Lucas was available to play. We jumped on trampolines, read books, ate our favorite snack (puffy cheetos), swam in my pool, relaxed in his hottub, played on both of our playgrounds, explored every square inch of his property and mine, played multiple pretend games, hung out in the cabin in the back of my woods, and always kept each other company while our parents talked the night away. A favorite pretend game of ours was pirates. Lucas had bunk beds, allowing for him to be the captain in his quarters and me to be the lookout on top (I wanted to be captain, but he would cry if he didn't get his way, and that was never fun).

One night when our parents were talking in our garage, we sneaked out to my front porch and decided to kiss. We puckered up, pressed our lips together, then promptly pulled apart and spit. We decided that we were better being just friends. Lucas came to all my birthday parties even though he was the only boy, and he was always there to be my playmate. The last memory I have of us is in 2006 after the tornado. There were construction workers everywhere on our road, so we decided it was a prime opportunity for a lemonade stand. We told everyone we were raising money to buy a new trampoline, but was just so we would get sympathy money (corrupted business owners at age 6, impressive). We ended up raising almost $40, and boy were we happy. However, a few days after that I found out they were moving, and before I knew it my best friend was gone. It was sad, but the hole was quickly filled by my neighbors a little further down, Meredith and Mia Kessler. I wonder sometimes what would have happened if he had never moved. Would we still be best friends? Lovers? Hardly ever interact? Who knows, I'm just thankful that the Lucas & Luci pair got to exist at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment