Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Two Lakes in One Hour

On a summer day in 2013, my dad and I were craving a dip in some body of water that wasn't my backyard pool. We live 30-40 minutes from Lake Barkeley and Kentucky Lake, so we threw on our swimsuits, grabbed two beach towels, and hit the road in style (well, as stylish as you can be in the Cream Puff). At the northernmost part of the lakes, there are lots of marinas and fishing stores. We stopped at the Kentucky Lake Marina with our hearts set on a jet ski. The price was steep; $80 for an hour. But we were desperate, and 10 minutes later we were cruising out on Kentucky Lake. Once out of site of the marina, I began to drive the jet ski, and it was a lot easier than I thought it would be.

Lake Barkeley is right beside Kentucky Lake, but I had always thought that they were separated. However, while cruising around on Ken Lake, we came upon an inlet that connects the two lakes! It really blew my mind, and I immediately drove us through it. We came out on the other side, and sure enough it was Lake Barkeley. I jumped off the jet ski and peed, making sure that the world would know that I had been in two lakes in one hour, and it made me feel like I had really accomplished something.

No comments:

Post a Comment