Saturday, December 26, 2015

Rocky Ridge

Up until the tornado in 2006, my grandparents (Keith and Patty) lived on the Rocky Ridge Golf Course in Darlington, Indiana. I went up there many times as a child, as it was only 5 hours from my home in KY. Every single time I first arrived at their house, I would walk in and take every single stuffed bear from every corner of the house and put them on the couch (my grandma collected stuffed bears, had at least 100 around her house). I would let them sit for about five minutes before I put them all back, not to be touched again until my next time in Indiana. I remember their house perfectly. Below is a picture I drew mainly to prove to myself I remember their house (mostly) perfectly.


The line of big rocks is something I have found to only be an Indiana thing. I knew I was getting close to Mamaw and Papaw's house when I started to see random boulders in peoples yards. I absolutely loved climbing on those rocks, the goal to get all the way across without ever touching the ground. I wasn't allowed to be on the rocks when people were playing golf though, because right behind their house, was a golf course. By the time I was five I was driving a golf cart by myself. I drove all over the golf course, and I know my grandparents loved showing off their good little granddaughter to all of their golfing friends. On that golf course, I learned what the word ripple meant and how to use a putter with my grandpa. During the evenings, the three of us would ride in the cart over to the corn field and pick up all of the lost golf balls to add to our collection.

My grandpa was an insurance man, and when my grandma had to work at the golf club house, I would spend the day with him in the office. I ate Mcdonalds and got to seal envelopes, all the while being completely entranced by his sand writer. Usually once every trip we would go eat dinner at a restaurant about thirty minutes north in the town of Thornton, called Stookys. It specialized in catfish fiddlers, and as a professional catfish connoisseur, I can definitely say it is the best catfish I've ever had (tail is the best). Along with the vinegar coleslaw and onion rings.

 

 After eating the catfish, we would head back to Crawfordsville and stop at Dari-Licious. I would always either get Raspberry Ripple ice cream or a Turtle, then frolic in the next door Turtle Park before heading home to sleep (old people go to sleep very early).

Turtle

No comments:

Post a Comment