Saturday, December 19, 2015

A Taste of Fame

Most teenagers dream of stardom at some point. Standing on a stage in front of thousands of fans all screaming your name, it sounds like the ultimate life. I don't dream of this, however, because I have already had my time in the spotlight. Four out of my five years in elementary school, I was the (self-proclaimed) star of the annual Sinking Fork Elementary School Talent Show.

I never actually wanted to perform in the talent show, but my parents felt that it would be a good experience for me so they paid me $100 every year to belt my heart out for my whole school. In first grade I sang the song "Take Me Home". The whole song went like this

Take me home, where I belong
To a place, that I call hoooooome
Happy Hollow, Kentucky 
Take me home, take me home

I didn't perform in second grade because just a few weeks prior I had broken my leg. 
I third grade, I sang the song "My Party Pad" (AKA "All My Rowdy Friends are Coming Over Tonight") by Hank Williams Jr. We made some renditions to this song, "Miss Mississippi" became "Miss Ham", "beer" became "sprite", and "rock'n Randall Hank" became "rock'n Randall Ham".
In fourth grade, I sang "Seminole Wind" by John Anderson, and in fifth grade I sang "Big Green Tractor" by Jason Aldean while wearing bib overalls, cowboy boots, and a John Deere hat. I'm not sure how my singing skills were, but I know I always had fun up on that stage.

1 comment: